Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

You know I was just saying to my husband last week, "They really should teach the kids about the importance of recycling and reducing our carbon footprint" and low-and-behold my eldest comes home from school chanting, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle". I was so proud, let me tell you.

We are pretty eco-friendly at our house:
- we use environmental bags for all of our shopping
- we have energy star appliances and line dry our clothing whenever possible
- we keep the thermostat low for winter & higher in the summer
- we use CFL lightbulbs
- we always turn off lights when we are not in the room (except for the hall light at night-time)
- we don't let the water run unnecessarily
- we recycle
- my kids eat litterless school snacks/lunches
- we compost
- we walk whenever possible
... well, you get the idea.

If it were up to me, we would live (virtually) off the grid.
I am still "bugging" my husband for a vermicomposter but he thinks it's gross and I would love to have solar panels on our house to handle any of our energy needs as well as rain barrels. Did you ever wonder, "Who would get excited about a rain barrel?" well, yes, it's me.

So to all of you who share my passion for reducing negative effects on the environment -- Cheers!

Renewably yours,

Cdngirl

1 comment:

Rain Barrel Guy said...

I manufacture Rain Barrels in Ontario.
If you would like, you can drop me a line at rreid99@rogers.com and we can discuss your requirements.
I am confident that I can get one to you, regardless of where you are in the Great White North.
Hope to talk soon!
Regards, Rob
Rob's Rain Barrels